by Shabby Paints Rescue Rep.
Step by Step Whitewash Effect:
So you have fell in love with the timeless whitewashed finish! Follow Abbie’s easy step by step guide to achieving the look you have adored.
One of my most requested furniture “colors”
- Step 1: lightly sand, by hand, the existing finish with a 180 grit sanding sponge. Be sure to wear a mask!
- Step 2: Carefully wipe off the dust from the piece and use a damp rag to remove any fine dust particles. Sanding the piece lightly exposes the grain of the wood. This allows for the whitewash to soak into the grain of the wood.
- Step 3: mix any white color of Shabby Paint with water. The paint to water ratio should be no more that 1 part paint to 1 part water.
- Step 4: Use a sponge to wipe on the water/paint, working in small sections. Allow the paint to absorb into the wood for a few moments and use a clean dry rag to wipe away the excess white wash. When the piece is vertical, the whitewash should literally be “dripping” but we want to wipe it away soon as to avoid drip marks.
- Step 5: Once the white wash has been applied, you can decided if you want to repeat the above steps to get more white into the wood. Step 6: if you feel like not enough of the wood grain is exposed, you can lightly sand the piece again after the whitewash has dried.
- Step 7: complete your project by applying VAX!
- Step 8: post to your social media accounts and watch the custom orders roll in!!